The Mediterranean diet is a type of diet that has been discovered recently, especially after its success with many people, so many people are constantly asking about it to learn more information about it.
What is the Mediterranean diet?
It is a type of diet that depends on the healthy eating habits of the inhabitants of the Mediterranean region. It is considered the traditional food for them. This region usually concentrates their food on vegetables, legumes, fish and natural, non-hydrogenated olive oil.
They also stay away from sweets, sugars and various meats because they contain different fats and a large percentage of them are harmful.
Many people are surprised because this diet is somewhat higher in calories than other diets, but this diet is very calculated.
Just as the variety of fats that you can eat through this system are all healthy fats and in specific quantities that do not affect your diet.
There is a belief that the beauty of the complexion of the inhabitants of the Mediterranean, as well as their long life expectancy and the absence of many chronic diseases among them is one of the reasons for their diet, especially when large amounts of fiber and vegetables are introduced.
What foods are allowed in the Mediterranean diet?
There are some foods that it is preferable to eat and increase them while following your diet, and the most important of these foods are:
- You should focus very much on vegetables and fruits, as well as foods that are high in fiber.
- The use of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat sources is more beneficial in certain amounts than the intake of listed oils and fats, and the most important of these sources are olive oil and avocado.
- It is preferable to eat specific amounts of whole grains such as oats, barley and wheat, as well as the manufactures from which they are made.
- Low-fat white meat is what you can eat while following this diet, the most important of which are chicken and turkey.
- Nuts, which are a very important source of fats and other elements that the body needs.
- It is also allowed to eat various legumes such as lentils, rice, and others.
You may be interested in learning about: Protein Diet for Slimming: Lose 6 kilos of your weight in two weeks
Foods that are forbidden during the Mediterranean diet
While following this diet, you must reduce the intake of these foods and drinks or completely prevent them, and the most important of these foods are:
- Various red meats, especially full fat and processed meat.
- Sugars, various sweets and drinks that contain a large proportion of sugars.
- Butter and hydrogenated fats are strictly not allowed.
- Dairy products are not allowed, especially if these products are full-fat.
Benefits of following the Mediterranean diet
This system is considered one of the systems that contains very many benefits and improves many of the functions that exist in the body, and the most important of these benefits are:
- This system is considered one of the most effective systems that improve the functions of the circulatory system, improve the cumulative blood pressure, improve heart function, and reduce heart attacks.
- Losing excess weight is one of the most important advantages that have been discovered through this system, as it eliminates the obese disease that many suffer from.
- This system improves many functions of the body and reduces the chance of developing many chronic diseases such as diabetes, pressure diseases and heart diseases.
- This system reduces insomnia and improves sleep quality.
- Also, this system is one of the most used in building and maintaining muscle for as long as possible.
How can you get the most out of the diet?
You can get the most out of this system by following some extra steps, the most important of which are:
- Take care to do some simple exercise on a daily basis for at least 30 minutes, or at least you can go for a walk.
- You should drink plenty of water during the day, as you should drink at least 2-3 liters of water per day.
- Attention should be given to taking some vitamins to compensate for the deficiency in some elements caused by this diet.
Do not miss watching: The number of calories in bananas: 12 essential benefits for the body and the effective banana diet
Mediterranean diet side effects
Although this system lacks many important elements for many people, so many people consider it a harmful system and negatively affect their health, but this system is considered one of the best known diets around the world, as it is one of the systems that relies on very healthy nutrients It eliminates harmful elements, but among the most harmful of this system:
- This regimen can somewhat significantly reduce the levels of some important elements that the body needs in order to lose weight.
- This system is based on reducing the level of calcium in the body because this system is recommended to reduce the intake of dairy products, especially full-fat ones.
- Those who follow these diets suffer from a severe iron deficiency, due to not eating foods that contain iron, as well as not paying attention to taking vitamin C.
Mediterranean Diet Experiences
The Mediterranean diet is one of the systems that has had many positive experiences, and many people lose their excess weight through it.
Where many English studies have proven that a diet that consists largely of vegetables, fiber and low-fat types of protein is one of the best diets you need in order to reduce weight.
This is because vegetables contain a lot of fiber that works to make you feel full for as long as possible, and protein is the main ingredient that improves metabolism and thus reduces appetite.
mediterranean diet recipes
There are many people who feel bored permanently because of not knowing the recipes or meals that should be eaten during the day in order to continue the diet, so many of them destroy their own system for boredom.
Therefore, we have collected a set of meals that you need during your day and are considered to be very low in calories, such as:
Mediterranean diet breakfast:
You can eat several suggestions from breakfast, the most important of which are:
- A slice of brown bread with a slice of avocado + ½ cup of chopped strawberries or cranberries + ½ cup of skimmed yogurt.
- You can eat an omelette of eggs with green spinach, which is an important source of iron, in addition to two slices of brown bread.
And you can eat any food that is somewhat light and contains vegetables and fiber in a large way. The most important suggestions are:
Eat a plate of vegetable salad, which contains a lot of leaves, plus two tablespoons of unroasted nuts and one tablespoon of olive oil.
You can also eat a cup of vegetable soup in addition to two tablespoons of nuts or three tablespoons of chickpeas.
It is considered the basic meal somewhat and usually consists of an amount of protein not exceeding 100 grams, next to a large plate of vegetables or salad + three tablespoons of whole grains such as oats or brown rice.